SPACE Architects — previously Waring and Netts Partnership — came together in 1957 with a shared passion for community architecture.
Setting up in Gosforth, Newcastle, they designed local libraries, a swimming pool, the Civic Hall, and social housing. These buildings remain part of the local community and have become city landmarks, such as Montague Court overlooking the town moor.
Award-winning housing helped Waring and Netts build a reputation, and by the 1970s, the practice was also specialising in education and healthcare.
Commercial developments such as Trinity Gardens and Baltic Place followed in the 2000s.
In 2007 Waring and Netts became Space Architects in response to the increasing diversity of sectors across the UK. Multi-million-pound commercial projects such as Stephenson Quarter expanded the portfolio further in the private sector.
SPACE Architects maintains the values established by Arnold and Len over 60 years ago, continuing to design buildings that positively contribute to people’s lives.
Today, the practice continues to build its reputation across the public and private sectors, specialising in creative reuse, design optimisation, and the built environment’s decarbonisation.